Live in Tampa and have family in Jacksonville area and have been to Savannah and Charleston a handful of times (m)

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]

By P Money on 10:03:38 04/16/24
[In reply to "Looking for some vacation advice: Savannah or Charleston?" by Ivo Shandor, posted at 09:21:03 04/16/24]

I would say for just the beach - Amelia Island is better but St Augustine has solid beaches and lots to do in outside of the beach too, history stuff, old city, solid food, breweries, fountain of youth (though it's not working so well for me yet) etc..

I would rank Charleston above Savannah. There are more things to do, better shops, art galleries, lots of history stuff, beautiful homes, better restaurants overall than Savanah. Savanah has stuff on the water (river) but its not nice water (unless you go out to tybee island) like the Florida coast. Charleston is much more a city and not a beach town at all but you could always head to Folly beach which is pretty close. Savannah is much smaller and feels like just a bunch of bachelorette parties all over these days.

I have enjoyed both and you can't go wrong either place but would chose Charleston as there is more to do, if that is important.

: Would likely fly into Jacksonville -- cheapest flights from DTW and don't mind a 4 hour drive.

: Want to do a 6-7 day trip combining beach/resort time (3-4 days) with a side trip to either Charleston or Savannah.

: Looking at HHI (expensive!) or even northeast Florida (Amelia Island or St Augustine) for the relaxing beach time, tiki bar, walkable area, with a nice pool plus 3 days in a city.

: What are the pros and cons of each? -- we'd have a 19 and 17 year old with us -- so even looking at AirBnbs with multiple bedrooms (for the beach time) but can do a hotel within Charleston or Savannah as the second stop. Is there enough to do in each for 3 days? Charleston seems "nicer" but the main attractions don't seem to be on the water - which is important to us.

: Trying to avoid the tourist trappiness of Myrtle Beach. But would even consider NC (Wilmington/Carolina Beach) but I'm not sure there's enough action up there.

: What say you? Thanks in advance. Any specifics on hotels or rentals would be awesome as well.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]