a lot of 'busts' can be attributed to the teams that drafted the player and the roster/cap situation at the time...

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]

By Brutus on 14:16:12 04/16/24
[In reply to "If 4 QBs go near the top of the draft, have to assume at least two will be busts based on history. Of Caleb, Daniels" by Buck the Trend, posted at 09:23:55 04/16/24]

...it's been said since really he was drafted, but Fields was put in a position to fail. the coach and GM were gone after his first year. they gave up draft assets to get Fields (hurts ability to support the young QB), the roster was already weak and they were in cap hell.

On the other side of it all is what Caleb Williams is walking into. The Bears are out of cap hell. They've been building up their roster while getting their cap clean and because Carolina is a total moron have draft capital coming out the ears. Despite Chicago's history of being a graveyard for QBs, this is a near perfect setup for a #1 pick QB entering the league.

As for Williams the player? he does some really special things. some stuff certainly looks like Mahomes (who landed in a great spot in terms of coaching and roster AND he was able to sit a year...which more QBs should be doing) and he can make some really special plays and throws off schedule. that's undeniable. I also think he's inconsistent from clean pockets and not as precise as you'd want to see on a down in and down out and series in and series out basis.

And this is just football stuff...off the field I'm trying not to be too judgemental here but some of the stuff is more like a diva WR than the QB that needs to lead the team from the front, first one in, last one out, take all the criticism off teammates and put everything on his shoulders and just in general lead from the front.

CW has been anointed this #1 guy for years at this point. He's walking into a near ideal situation. I'd be surprised if he's a total bust on the level of a JaMarcus Russell or someone like that. but is he going to say duplicate Stroud's rookie season (with CW having a far better supporting cast IMO)? that would also surprise me greatly. maybe a trevor lawrence where he's pretty good and the team is pretty good but that next level hasn't been achieved?

: Maye and JJ, who are your most likely stars and busts?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]