I'm out of touch but it used to be standard procedure but now I hear things are different (M)

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]

By QueensBuck on 15:42:26 04/24/24
[In reply to "Interview and hiring process: Thank you notes from candidates (m)" by LebBuck, posted at 14:44:37 04/24/24]

First question interviewees ask now is about hybrid work policy/schedule. And dress code of jacket and tie for men isn't even followed anymore. I doubt the thank you letter is standard anymore either.
I haven't been in this situation in almost 20 yrs though.

: Why do some job candidates not send thank you emails to the interviewer or hiring manager after an interview?

: I lead a team in my company, and generally hire several people each year. In these roles, the job description and our interviews clearly get across the importance of things like "pays close attention to details", "communicates well with colleagues through the entire project". Things like that. At the end of each interview, we also say, "As you have my email, please feel free to follow up with any questions directly". So, they have the email. They know we are looking for people that attend to key details, etc.

: Are thank you letters so out of mind that people just don't do this anymore? I would say I get about 50% of those interviewed sending thank you's.

: It just seems that if one wants the job bad enough, this is something that is a no brainer. Not only does it show you paid attention to aspects desired for the role... but that you are truly interested in the role.

: Or maybe you have been a candidate and you don't send thank you emails. If so, I'm interested to know why.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]