I'm of the millennial generation, and I was taught to send follow-up thank you emails to those who interviewed me for..

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]

By 1flybuckeye on 10:55:22 04/25/24
[In reply to "Interview and hiring process: Thank you notes from candidates (m)" by LebBuck, posted at 14:44:37 04/24/24]

anything. At the same time, it seemed silly to do so since I thanked them in person, literally, at the end of the interview.

I can't speak for every single millennial in the world, but in our eyes (mostly), it's a case by case basis. It's true that many of us prefer text-based communication, but we also view some stuff as stupid if it's simply done solely as just a matter of formality.

For instance, if I have left the interviewer with an impression of any kind that they don't know, think, and/or feel that I want said job, then I can guarantee you a follow-up thank you email sure as heck isn't going to change anything that happened in the interview or convince them to change their mind. Therefore, a thank you email, even one out of formality, in this scenario, makes zero sense.

On the plus side if things went well, if I thanked the interviewer at the end of the interview and left with an expectation that they'd contact me about the job, I would also not send them anything and trust their word that I will receive something from them. Maybe if a few days went by and I hadn't heard anything, I would reach out...but there comes a point (for me anyways), when that stuff just comes across like annoying pandering.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Off-Topic Forum ]