Yeah, that’s one of the things I posted last week when we were talking about declining attendance (m)

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Forum ]

By Nashville on 09:11:22 08/13/19
[In reply to "One update they need to do is dump the bench seating. One thing I hate when going to a game (m)" by HilliardJoe, posted at 08:56:11 08/13/19]

We can debate the reasons why, but it’s obvious that supply exceeds demand within the current pricing structure. And it

By Nashville on 12:47:36 08/07/19
[In reply to "Per Gene Smith, season ticket renewals were down a bit. Came in at 94-95% of last year." by Gerd, posted at 10:44:55 08/07/19]

it’s not just Ohio State, it’s much worse most places. The fact that we’re having issues given the success we’ve had the last 7 years is troubling. Imagine what it would be like in a legitimate down period, like 4 consecutive 9-3 seasons or something.

I think the schools that have 100,000 seat stadiums seem to have a real aversion to dropping below 100K whether they need them or not. If I was in charge, Ohio Stadium would definitely have fewer seats. Among the things I’d do:

1) eliminate all of B Deck except for possibly the first four or five rows. Put in suites and/or party rooms all around the stadium that could be sold by either the season or by game.

2) every seat between the goal lines would be a chair back seat in AA, A, C decks. You know, you’d actually have a seat that matches the ticket you bought, not six inches of aluminum bleacher sandwiched between fat guys. Bleachers were fine when tickets were cheap, and they’re fine for students. But $200 per seat for premium games to wedge yourself in like sardines ? It’s absurd. The only NFL stadium that has bleachers is Green Bay. You’re charging NFL prices, you ought to approximate NFL amenities.

Tickets between the goal lines would naturally carry a higher price, as they do in every professional stadium in the NFL.

I’m not sure how many seats would be lost, but I’m guessing we’d still have ~80,000. The revenue lost could possibly be made up by tiered pricing but it may not. But I think it will always be in the programs best interest to have high ticket demand and the revenue will likely be lost anyway if the current trend continues

Edited by original poster [11:04:56 08/13/19]

Follow Ups: