Well that is pretty interesting....thinking 15 years down the road when my daughter will be looking at schools.

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Forum ]

By Mr.C on 15:34:13 06/17/22
[In reply to "My impression is that as the top-tier U.S. schools increasingly select for wealth as well as grades/SATs (m)... " by Hibernobuck, posted at 15:23:54 06/17/22]

I think I'm going to brainwash her into being a welder or electrician, then start planning my luxurious retirement.

: ...the gap between them and the more prominent land-grant places will continue to shrink.

: The *Wall Street Journal* had an article a couple of months ago (link below) about a young woman from Texas:-

: > She took her first advanced-placement course as a freshman, scored 1550 on her SATs as a junior at McKinney High School near Dallas and will graduate this spring with an unweighted 3.95 grade-point average and as the founder of the school’s accounting club. Along the way she performed in and directed about 30 plays, sang in the school choir, scored top marks on the tests she has so far taken for 11 advanced-placement classes, helped run a summer camp and held down a part-time job.

: > Responses came this month: Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, University of Southern California, University of California, Berkeley, and Northwestern all rejected her.

: She's going to Arizona State (acceptance rate: 88%) in the autumn. As the story makes clear, the knocks against her were sex (female), race (white), socioeconomic status (lower-middle-class) and high-school pedigree (suburban public). She might have overcome one or two of those, but not all four.

: But ASU's academic profile is going to take a significant upward bounce as a result of the presence of her and others like her. So too with the other land-grants, which will more and more become the destination of talented kids whose parents couldn't afford to send them to Phillips Exeter or Choate Rosemary Hall; endow a non-profit of which they could be "president"; or hire a raft of college-prep and admissions consultants.

Edited by original poster [15:52:43 06/17/22]

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ O-Zone Forum ]